Monday, September 03, 2007

Conceptual Model


I built this model in three parts hoping to be able to disect it and make changes this week. It consists of structure, layout and facade. One of the first things I realized was how critical the vertical circulation is going to be. Opening up the floor plans will really start to emphasize the filtration as you progress through the space. It will also provide an opportunity to bring in daylighting from the floors above. As I played with lighting the model, I realized how interesting it would be to provide that speckled light into the interior spaces from above. Bring the floors away from the facade on the upper levels will allow the technology space to be a filtered environment. I am anxious to work on that this week. The facade is still challenging. I was working through a variety of shapes to try and create something that would work. I am still not happy with the result and will hopefully put together a few other options this week. One development I do like is the gradual disappearance of the filters. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Balancing life, work and school this week has been a challenge for me and I really hope to devote more of my time developing my ideas in the next few weeks.

5 comments:

Stacey Stevens said...

Annie, I like how you integrated your model with the photos. I tried to do the same thing but I wasn't able to get the angle of the model just right. You did a good job with fitting your model in a picture.

I like your model. I think it backs up your intention of filtration. I am also curious to see how the speckled light casts through your building. You could really use that to your advantage. Good luck

enno said...

Annie,
I like the back-lit photo of the model much better: it adds depth to the otherwise flat facade. think about how you can translate that: maybe it is actually a double layer facade that veils what happens in the interior. The dimensions of the layering could vary depending where the upper slabs are.
Two comments on the montages: 1. use the same image, but add more context to it (street facade and trees (!), it does not need be to photorealistic). I think it will show you that 2. the pattern, while it works on ikonographic level, is too big. Play with scaling it down, so it becomes less bold and obvious. I think that will also help you in the interior.
- the sectional ideas sound very promising (fitering light from above, pulling upper floors back: bring it to life this week will be a major step for your project. Go for it.

Tim Riffle said...

Annie,

I like the filtration idea, but wonder how you will be bringing light to the lower levels as those will be the darkest spaces. What about having the exterior walls pull away in places creating small lightwells that occur in tree canopies? It would also give the facades more of a 3d feel.

smunger said...

Perhaps, rather than trying to accomplish the "filtration" in one pass at the level of the facade, you create a series of planes throughout the space which each add a level of filtration, incorporated with the circulation. The overall effect would be one that changes constantly not only with the light outside, but also with the passage of the store patron who would experience an effect that varies based on her own movement through the space.

The model is less successful than your initial sketches / drawings, I think that this is a matter of scale, the leaves of the trees are fairly small, when you scale it up to make the model, something gets lost. I know this is due to the difficulty of fabrication more than your overall intent.

annie j kemp said...

That is actually what I was thinking after building the model. It really started to show the many possibilities. I am drawing building plans right now that will start to address this idea of filtration. I am looking at pulling pieces back and making light wells that go through the many floors. I am very excited to get this going. However, I am still frustrated with the facade. I can not seem to get to a place that allows me to do what I want. Any suggestions on materials? I was starting to look at layering of materials using glass, kal-wall and steel to create some depth and interest as well as change the types of light entering. Thanks for the comments!